What is Disciple Making?
Disciple Making is helping someone walk more closely with Jesus in a way that equips them to do the same for someone else. It is not a program, class, Bible study or accountability group; and it is more than an information download, mentorship or fellowship. We are not called to make followers of man, but to make disciples of Jesus, that will go and make more disciples of Jesus.
Instead of coming up with a man-made version of disciple making, we look to the Bible to see the example that Jesus modeled for us:
- Jesus commands it: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matt. 28:19-20
- Jesus models it: “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” Mark 1:17
- Paul teaches us: "And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others." Here we see 4 generations of making disciples: Paul, to Timothy, to Reliable people, to Others.
- Signs we are truly Jesus’ disciples:
Love: "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35
Obedience: "To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.” John 8:31
Spiritual Fruit: "This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:8
Sometimes it is helpful in understanding something to answer the five basic questions. We base each of these around the essence of our God and His love.
WHO? Church- Family of God’s love
Who is God? Grow in knowing our Triune God- Father, Son, Spirit
Who am I? Grow in embracing and living out my identity- I and We
Who am I trying to reach? Spouse, Kids, Life Group, Oikos, World
WHY? Learning of God’s love
Glory of God
Expansion of His Kingdom
HOW? Manifesting God’s love
Power of the Holy Spirit
Power of the Gospel
Increasing submission to The Holy Spirit’s leading and allowing Him to fill, control, empower and manifest
Regularly asking 4 questions: (Identity / Purpose)
Who is God?
What has He done through Christ? Through The Holy Spirit?
Who am I now as a result of what He’s done?
What do I do?
WHAT? Receiving and Sharing God’s love
- Enjoying God: Relationship (Receiving and responding in His love)
•Personally in living conversations through His Word and Spirit
•Communally as the Body of Christ, living out the One Another verses
- Disciple Maker: Mission (Representing God and Reconciling people)
•Make- Share the Good News of Salvation by grace
•Mature- Grow in hearing and obeying as we are included in His redemptive purposes in the world
•Multiply- Becoming Disciple makers that make Disciple makers
- Becoming more like Christ: Purpose
•Continual Transformation: Regular flow of Word, Spirit, People of God
WHEN? Saturation of God’s love
We must have a sense of urgency for the return of Jesus and a growing desire for the eternal significance of our lives.
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” Matt. 24:14